Thursday, August 30, 2007

Rest In Peace..........

One month ago today, at 6:58pm, I received a call that shattered my heart into a million pieces:

“This is Marco…..”
“Marco, this is your Tia Meño.”
“Oh, Hi Tia, how are you?”
“Are you sitting down?”
“What? Why?”
“I have to tell you something…..”
“Ok…. What is it?!”
“You’re not driving right now or anything are you?”
“Uhh, no. Just tell me, please!”
“There’s been an accident……..”

You see….. My parents, grandmother, little brother, & god-sister were on a trip to San Miguel de Allende, which is located in the Central Mexican state of Guanajuato. They drove down there in my parents 2003 Chevy Suburban for a quinceañera. From what I’ve been told, their trip was amazing!

It was Monday, July 30th 2007. They were almost back home. Forty-five minutes south of the Texas-Mexico border, in San Fernando, Tamaulipas, a Dodge Town & Country mini-van struck the Suburban on the passenger’s side. The impact flipped the Chevy on its side.

Sadly and tragically, the accident claimed the lives of my beautiful mother Rosie Torres, my beloved grandmother Daria Salazar, and my wonderful god-sister Graciela Aguilar Zermeño.

My mother meant the world to me. Actually, she STILL means the world to me! She, more than anyone, taught me how to be a good person. She taught me how to love! She taught me how to be happy, how to forgive, and how to be a good son & brother.

My abuelita…. I do believe she was the sweetest person that God has ever created! The cutest, shortest little woman with the biggest heart! I guess you have to have a big heart when you have 11 kids! And all of those grandkids & great grandkids!

Those two were ALWAYS together. I find consolation in the fact that they both passed at the same time. I’m not sure either one of them could overcome the grief if the other one passed away………

I still don’t truly understand why God decided it was time for them to go…… But who am I to attempt to understand God?! I know that my mom & abuelita are up there….. together. That’s really all I need to know……

I also thank God that my father, Lazaro Torres, and my brother, Angel Torres, survived the accident. My dad suffered several injuries, including 3 broken ribs and a broken nose, amongst other things. My brother has had 2 surgeries to repair a broken leg (right femur) and broken bones in his right foot. Both are slowly recovering and are doing well.

I’d like to thank my sister, Teresa Torres, and brother, David Torres, for everything. This has been a tough & stressful time for all of us, but we will overcome this together, as a family, just like Mom would have expected us to.

To the rest of our family & friends…….. there are no words that can express how truly thankful we are for your thoughts, prayers, & generosity. We are blessed to be surrounded by good people who care about us. Thank you!

I love you Mami! I love you Grandma!



Sinceramente,

Marco Antonio Torres

No comments: